Personal Twitter Page *sometimes Explicit*

iNVASION

Share this page!!

Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Fondant Potatoes

Fondant Potatoes! 
(Potatoes cooked in sauce/stock)

-------------- Short Update ----------------


Thomas Michael Sullivan, Due in February =)

Sorry for the delays on posts (always my excuse eh? lol)

The lil one above has kept me very busy, his room is going to be started this week! So excited!
Two boys... better learn some hearty, healthy meals for my family.. but, what about TASTE.. 

I learned infusion of flavors via youtube videos by Chef Gordon Ramsay today, and I'd like to share not only that video, but a little bit of advice, that you might not have seen in the video..

First, the video... Please watch it, write down and prep what you need.. I also used half of a very small onion with my potatoes.. Cooked till clear, then removed until right before the potatoes went into the oven..


Drooling yet?? :)

Ok, first things first... If you don't live somewhere where the metric system is used.. 200deg C = around 400deg F (it's what I used, 375 would probably be acceptable, but you might loose that crispy top)

Pre-heat to 400F/200C
Season half "bottoms" (flat-side) Salt & Pepper
I do NOT use as much oil as Ramsay, about half that much, as I was using a saute pan..

(Note: please make sure the pan you are using is oven safe and NEVER grab a pan from the oven without HAND PROTECTION)

Add the butter, and a couple of cloves of garlic, really brings out the flavor.. If I had rosemary, I'd have put it in right NOW :)

Season the round edges of the potato!!

Cook the potatoes, look for them to start getting brown on the edges, give it 60 seconds past that, flip

THEN ADD THE HERBS (If you add it before then, you chance burn from using less oil)

Put them in the center, they will crackle, pop and release their smells and flavor..Delicious!

The rest is simple.. add fresh stock 
(I made some from our chicken bones last night, froze them overnight, made the stock all day)

Ok, let's be real, most of you WON'T make the stock.. get a low sodium box or canned if you have to, but get it BOILING first.. it's important to build the sauce properly 

(the video he brings his up to temp in the pan, this is fine if you forget, but your sauce may break)

Add the stock, just below the potatoes..  I added another few sprigs of thyme and some dried basil from the garden..  INTO THE OVEN YOU GOOOo..

15 minutes.. no more, no less.. don't open it.. don't touch it... again.. 
Get hand protection and have it on at all times... my previously burnt hands beg of you not to make the same mistake they did with a previous dish and grab it.. you won't like it, I promise..

Take the potatoes out, serve... 
Added bonus:

Add balsamic vinegar to the VERY HOT pan, put it on HIGH HEAT, get it going good before you add the vinegar (1 tsp) 

Reduce, add 1/2 cup of RED or WHITE wine (I used red.. paired VERY well)

Reduce until thick, serve with dinner... 

I made two eye of the round steaks using the same method as the potatoes (350 for 1 1/2hrs after sear and de-glaze with red wine... it's fall apart and delicious)

Enjoy everyone!! Much easier than it may seem, and it's SOO GOOD!!

Below is the meal from tonight, I also made a pan sauce with pan drippings, corn starch and a little milk, add red wine after the first reduction.. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, I will read and respond to each and every one!