Personal Twitter Page *sometimes Explicit*

iNVASION

Share this page!!

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Update with a side of Sweedish Meatballs!

Kids, stress from kids, and stress from adults who act like kids.

Today has been a trying day on Chandra and I's nerves.. Dalton is doing badly at school and not caring, we are trying our hardest to keep our cool.. He makes it so hard sometimes!!  My father is dying from hepatitis C and I'm here, able to do nothing.. wouldn't matter really if I was there..  No, he didn't shoot up, didn't do anything to receive this on his own.. Blood transfusion when he was 21, they gave him Hep.C, He's been sick for YEARS, through tons of doctors, and just recently, discovered the hepatitis they gave him in the 70's was killing him...  To some people, apparently this disease is funny... ha.. yes, it's hilarious to talk to my father, have him talking normal, then sound like he's had 40 drinks because of his liver and kidney failing.. Not to mention, forget he even has kids, blabber about events that didn't happen, and then in mid conversation, pick right back up with what we are talking about.. Yes, a hoot!  I say we make a holiday called, let's make fun of people less fortunate than us day!  You really are no better than ANYONE, you might think you are, but your NOT, nobody is.. I'm not above a homeless person because I own a house, and your not above someone sick, because you are healthy.  Nuff said, wasted enough time on your ignorance.. 

moving on, 

Like I said, today has really tested my nerves and it's taken everything in myself to keep it together.. We all go through days like this I suppose.. So, today, was supposed to be RIBS!!  (tomorrow!), but, I changed up the menu to suit the mood.. I needed soul food, something heavy and filling.. Something to remind me of home at moms, something to keep me humble.  My mom always makes sweedish meatballs, but I really didn't want the standard run-of-the mill meatballs, I wanted to know how else they could made, how they were really made.

After years of making them "my" way, I decided to reference a ton a recipes, finally landing on one I wanted to try.  Give it a shot. They were delicious!!!!



(Served over thin noodles, usually egg noodles, but we were out!  Leftover sprouts from yesterday)
RECIPE
_________________________________________________
1/2 Cup Chopped Onion
3 tbsp butter or margarine
1 beaten egg
1 cup light cream
1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs (regular bread, blender, score!)
1/4 cup finely snipped parsley
1 1/4 tsp KOSHER salt
dash pepper
dash fresh nutmeg
dash ground ginger
3/4 lb Ground Beef (as lean as you can get it!)
1/2 lb ground veal
1/4 lb ground pork
2 tbsp flour
1 tsp instant beef bouillon grains
1/2 tsp instant coffee crystals
1 1/4 cups COLD water

Cook onion in 1 tablespoon of the butter till tender (clear).  In a mixing bowl, combine egg and cream; whisk in cooked onion, bread crumbs, parsley, salt & pepper, nutmeg, ginger, THEN add meats.

Mix well by HAND (hehe) or mixer

Store in refrigerator for no more than 1hr (makes mixture easy to roll, you can ignore this, but if you do it, you'll save yourself a lot of trouble down the line)  What I do is tight-roll in clear plastic the meat and shape it into a LOG, then refrigerator, then when it's time to make meatballs, you just cut into one inch sections and it's quick, done and they look great!

Shape into 3/4 - 1in meatballs

In LARGE skillet brown meatballs, half at a time, in the remaining 2 tablespoons butter... then, remove from skillet..

Rue- Stir flour, bouillon grains and instant coffee into pan juices, cook for just a few minutes until a "peanut butter" like color is had and/or the flour has cooked out of it (important because if you don't it will taste bland and like flour!) 

Add cold water a little at a time, whisking constantly until thick and bubbly.  Add meatballs, salt to taste and cover, reduce to simmer for 30 minutes and serve.. makes about 60 meatballs!

WE LOVED IT!!!!  I loved my old recipe, but this I will make over and over again.. 

Goodnight world!!  Let tomorrow bring happy sky's upon us!!
~chef Dad

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a message, I will read and respond to each and every one!